Saturday, July 12, 2014

Product Review of Muir Glen's Savory Lentil Soup

(Originally Published at Yahoo.Voices formerly Associated Content~10/28/2012)

BSTRACT: Muir Glen's Savory Lentil Soup is a rich and hearty soup that is entirely made from USDA certified organic ingredients, vegan and without MSG. This soup is every bit as good as my homemade lentil soup.

CONTENT:

In a previous article, I had written about my introduction to the Muir Glen's line of food products by trying Muir Glen's Garden Vegetable Soup which I had come across while shopping in my local Duane Reade store. I had been overall impressed by the fact that Muir Glen is a company that produces food products that are all USDA certified as being organic. (Update: Previous article about Muir Glen's Garden Vegetable Soup can be found HERE

The Muir Glen company's main and only crop are organically grown tomatoes and is based in the San Joaquin Valley of California. Their tomatoes are then used for a wide variety of food products, from canned diced, fire roasted, crushed, and whole tomatoes, salsa sauces, tomato sauces, tomato paste, pasta sauce, ketchup, and of course, a wide variety of soups which also for the most part are also tomato based. S ince I had already tried Muir Glen's Garden Vegetable soup, now it was time for me to try their Savory Lentil Soup.

For those who wish to know the ingredient facts of Muir Glen's Savory Lentil Soup, they are as follows:
Water, Lentils*, Carrots*, Celery*, Tomato Paste*, Corn Starch*. Also contains less than 1% Sea Salt, Extra Virgin Olive Oil*, Onion Powder*, Raw Sugar*, Parsley Flakes*, Black Pepper, and Thyme*. (*Organic)

Here are the Nutrition Facts:
Serving Size: 1 cup (251g), Servings Per Container: about 2. Calories 120 per serving, Calories from fat: 15, Total Fat: 1.5g (3%), Saturated Fat: 0g, Trans Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: go, Sodium: 780g (33%), Total Carbohydrate: 23g (8%), Dietary fiber: 4g (16%), Sugars: 2g, Protein: 7g

First up, I must point out, that I'm an excellent cook in my own right and yes, I have done my own version of Lentil soup in the past, so I was curious if Muir Glen's version was up to par. In a word, yes! I have to admit since I'm now I'm on my own, I often take shortcuts, which means I'm not exactly cooking the way I used to, particularly in making soups, so if I can find a product that may be similar to my own home cooking I'm all the more willing to try it.

Now of course I have tried other soup company brands, such as the tried and true familiar Progresso and Campbell's brands. Each company has their own versions of Lentil soup, however, they are some flaws to both of them. The first is that while both companies use what can be considered as being natural ingredients, neither use ingredients that are certified as being organic but are instead are commercially grown and processed. Two, in the case of Campbell's Lentil soup, there is the added use of MSG (Monosodium Glutamate), and for the person who is vegan, this soup also contains Parmesan Cheese. Muir Glen's version of Lentil soup, is not only organic, contains no MSG, but is also completely vegan friendly.

And what is my opinion of Muir Glen's Savory Lentil Soup? In a word: fantastic! I found the soup to be every bit as tasty as my own homemade version. The tomato-based broth was rich and hearty and there were generous amounts of diced up carrots and sliced celery, and of course, the lentils themselves. This soup comes in a 14.8 oz can and is not condensed, so there is no need to add water, and while the label says this can of soup is enough for about two servings, like the prior soup I tried (Garden Vegetable) it too is actually more like one large serving. This is one of those soups that will be terrific for those chilly fall or winter nights. In a rating of one to ten, I give this a well-deserved ten!

If you wish to learn more about Muir Glen's products, visit their website

If you're unfortunate in that you can't find any of Muir Glen's products in your local store, you may order directly on-line here

Sources: Life




No comments: